This blog has been created to keep myself honest about what writing I am doing, to trade ideas with other aspiring writers of fiction, and perhaps to encourage others.
A regular feature of this blog will be individual topics on better writing. They are taken from Jack Bickham's book The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes and How To Avoid Them. I will only present the topic itself (basically the chapter titles) and a few details as a kind of checklist of things to watch out for. The real meat and potatoes can be found in his book, one I implore you to purchase and to study again and again. Apparently, experience has shown that beginning writers consistently gravitate towards certain pitfalls.
John Irving, the author and sometimes writing teacher put it this way: "I don't know if you can teach someone how to write. You can, hopefully, save someone time." I like that. I don't want to spend years making those mistakes! I want to learn from someone with experience how not to go wrong early on. I ain't gettin' any younger!
How to View Comments
Click COMMENTS below the entry
How to Leave a Comment
Below entry, click COMMENTS Write your comment in the text box Click circle next to NAME/URL Write your name (or nickname - no last names) in the box Click PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT
That's it! To return to the entries click "the original post" at the top or use your back arrow on your browser.
No comments:
Post a Comment