Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Go For a Drive!



Today I plotted a short I've been working on for a while. I had been free writing on a list of potential conflicts and background info. I felt it was time to review, pull together, do some editing.

I focused on creating a sensible timeline for events, then rearranging stuff logically. This helped me view the story as a continuous whole and sort out the action and motivations.

I think the free writes helped me explore some possibilities and see what might work and what wouldn't fit. I guess that's why sometimes you just have to keep writing. You don't always know where you're going. You have to keep driving around until you find something. Not writing is like idling in the driveway. You don't get anywhere.

Go for a drive!

Today's writing: 1.2 hrs/1.4 pages



3 comments:

  1. You're doing so good with all your little blogs, honey. We're all so very proud of our little writer man.

    Seriously, though, I wish I had all of this free time that you apparently have, sittin' around with nothin' else to do. Get a job, loser! (Oh, wait, that's me... Sorry).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the most you've written in years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the analogy about not writing...very creative of you. I teach my juniors how to freewrite, and they really enjoy it. Sometimes I write something on the board for them to respond to, and other times, I put a series of pictures that they respond to. Either way, they love the "freedom" of the freewrite, and several of them have used it to start writing their essays.

    ReplyDelete